|Fighters||Up to 15 Cosmo Tiger IIs|
|Auxiliary craft||2 excursion boats|
|Power||Wave motion energy|
- This article describes the ship class depicted in Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Warriors of Love. For its counterparts in Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato and in Space Battleship Yamato 2 and its sequels, see EDF Battleship and the EDF Dreadnought.
The Dreadnought-class battleship is a warship class in service of the United Nations Cosmo Navy. Smaller and less heavily armed than the Andromeda class that entered service at nearly the same time but able to be manufactured in greater numbers, the Dreadnought class exemplifies a new and aggressive military doctrine on the part of the Earth Federation.
Armament and Technical Specifications Edit
The Dreadnought-class battleship possesses a bifurcated wave motion gun muzzle in its bow section. Three positron shock cannons are mounted along the upper deck, two of them positioned in front of the bridge tower and one behind. Like the Andromeda class and its predecessor, the space battleship Yamato, the dorsal towers of Dreadnought class ships are built with two bridges ("Departure to the Unknown!", "Clash! Yamato Versus Andromeda").
One specially designated Dreadnought, the Laboratory Prometheus, is modified to use warp acceleration in order to protect its occupants from the dangers of accelerated time inside a dimensional time fault on Earth. As an added precaution, its windows are blocked and replaced with video screens. The main bridge of Laboratory Prometheus is larger than normal for its class ("Yamato's Despair - Once More, the Devil's Alternative").
Like the Andromeda class, Dreadnought-class battleships were armed with wave motion weaponry in violation of the Earth Federation's treaty with Iscandar, and were built in secret. With the clandestine assistance of the Great Garmillas Empire, the Earth Federation was able to take advantage of a hidden zone of time distortion for its production facility; inside this dimensional time fault, time flowed much faster than in the outside world, allowing a factory to build Dreadnought class and other ships for Earth and for Garmillas in the span of only a couple of years ("Shock – Legacy of the Cosmo Reverse"). By the end of 2202, fourteen Dreadnought vessels left the assembly line and participated in a fleet exercise over Jupiter, easily blasting away rocky space debris with shock cannon fire ("Clash! Yamato Versus Andromeda").
Named Dreadnought-class shipsEdit
- Danae D-0010-2202
- Dartmouth D-0008-2202
- Devastation D-0002-2202
- Devonshire D-0007-2202
- Diadem D-0005-2202
- Diamond D-0014-2202
- Diana D-0009-2202
- Dido D-0011-2202
- Dominion D-0004-2202
- Doris D-0012-2202
- Drake D-0006-2202
- Dreadnought D-0001-2202
- Dublin D-0013-2202
- Duncan D-0003-2202
- Laboratory Prometheus LP-0001-2202
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 Bandai 1/1000 Earth Federation Dreadnought Battleship plastic model
- ↑ See this note on Migobueza armor and Yamato. The same defensive coating may have also been used on subsequent UNCN ships.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Official Space Battleship Yamato 2202 website ship data on Laboratory Prometheus
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Name visible on ship hull in "Clash! Yamato Versus Andromeda"
Japanese language informationEdit
ドレッドノート級前衛航宙艦 Doreddonōto-kyū zen'ei kōchū-kan